Department of national registration, passports and citizenship
The Department is charged with the responsibility of conducting National and Civil Registration, as well as to issue travel documents and facilitate acquisition of Citizenship in accordance with National Registration Act Cap 126, Passport Act 28 of 2016, Citizenship Act Cap 124, Birth and Death registration Act Cap 51, Marriage Act Cap 50 and the Adoption Act Cap 54 of the Laws of Zambia. It also contributes in maintenance of internal security.
To efficiently and effectively provide digitalized national registration cards and travel documents, increase accessibility to service for issuance of all national and travel documents and facilitate the acquisition of Zambian citizenship in order to contribute to maintenance of internal security.
In the process of enforcing the above Acts , the Department issues the appropriate legal documents that provide legal identity to holders, and the same are used for easy passage to appropriate points of interest and for easy access to certain services, as appropriate.
At District level, the Department also enforces the Societies Act Cap 119 on behalf of the Registrar of Societies, through providing guidance, receipt of applications and the prescribed user fees.
The mandate of the Department has a dichotomy of purpose; to contribute to maintenance of the internal security of the country and to provide services. This mandate is derived from the execution of six pieces of legislation namely
- National Registration Act Cap 126,
- Passport Act 28 of 2016,
- Citizenship Act Cap 124,
- Birth and Death registration Act Cap 51, Marriage Act Cap 50 and the Adoption Act Cap 54 of the Laws of Zambia.
The role of the Department will be to efficiently and effectively provide digitized National Registration Cards and Passports, increase accessibility to services for issuance of all national identities and travel documents and facilitate acquisition of Zambian citizenship in order to contribute to maintenance of internal security.
To effectively undertake its role the Department will have the following functions:-
- To effectively and efficiently provide increased accessibility to services for national identify documents;
- To decentralize the operations of the Department to all Provincial and District Centres and Missions Abroad in order to increase accessibility to services;
- To maintain an effective and efficient records management system for easy retrieval of information and provision of services;
- To provide and disseminate information on the operations of the department in order to crate public awareness and increase community participation.
- To promote co-operation and collaboration with other specialized agencies and relevant organisations in order to enhance information flow.
- To initiate the review of legislation and policies related to National Registration, Passports and Citizenship in order to conform to the prevailing conditions.
- To digitize national identify and travel documents in order to enhance their security.